Tsunami and Earthquake in Japan:
With the recent tragic events in Japan, several loyalty programs have enabled options to allow members to donate their points and miles to fund the disaster relief efforts. A few are even offering to reward cash donations to the cause with bonus miles. We’ve compiled a list of a few just a few of the programs that are offering these services below. Be sure to check in with your favorite program if it’s not listed below to see if they are offering a similar service.
If you do decide to donate points/miles rather than cash and are hoping for a tax receipt, be sure to check in with your both your loyalty program and your local tax authority before you donate to ensure you are not disappointed.
Loyalty Programs Offering Mileage Incentives for Cash Donations:
- American Airlines AAdvantage – Donate to the American Red Cross and earn 250 bonus miles (until 15 April 2011).
- Continental Airlines OnePass - Donate to the American Red Cross and earn up to 500 bonus miles (until 30 April 2011).
- United Airlines Mileage Plan – Donate to the American Red Cross and earn up to 500 bonus miles (until 30 April 2011).
Loyalty Programs Facilitating Point & Mile Donations:
- Aeroplan – Donated Aeroplan miles will go towards flights, car rentals, hotels and equipment to help the relief effort in Japan.
- AIR MILES (Canada) – Donating 200 AIR MILES to the Canadian Red Cross is the equivalent of a $25 cash donation.
- Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan – Donated miles will be used to transport medical staff and volunteers, along with helping people who need transportation out of Japan.
- American Express Membership Rewards – Members have the option to choose to donate their Membership Rewards points to three different charities.
- Best Western Rewards – Donate between $15 (4,000 points) and $60 (16,000 points) to World Vision by redeeming your Best Western Rewards points.
- Choice Privileges – Choice Privileges points can be donated to the American Red Cross in increments of 1,000, starting at 1,000 points for a $5 donation and ranging to 5,000 points for a $25 donation.
- Hilton HHonours – Hilton will match all donations of HHonors points to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), up to $250,000.
- Marriott Rewards – Donations made to the Marriott Rewards Disaster Relief Fund between March 15 and May 15, 2011, will be converted into cash for the IFRC.
- Priority Club Rewards - Priority Club members can donate 10,000 points to the Japanese Red Cross Society.
- Starwood Preferred Guest - Starpoints can be donated to the American Red Cross in increments of 2,000, starting at 2,000 Starpoints ($25) and ranging to 16,000 Starpoints ($200).
For more information on donating points and miles to charity, check out this blog post by The Points Guy: ‘Donating Points and Miles to Charity’.
WebFlyer has also prepared a list of loyalty programs facilitating charitable donations for the disaster relief effort in Japan.